There’s still time to recycle your holiday tree
Do you still have your holiday (Christmas) tree? The Houston Fire Department (HFD) is recycling holiday trees in a program that continues through the end of this week (January 9, 2016). HFD encourages citizens to safely dispose of the tree when it begins dropping needles. The dried-out trees should not be left in the house, garage or against the house.
Trees that are collected for recycling will be ground into mulch that is available in bulk directly from Living Earth or available in bags as Living Earth Houston Mulch sold at Houston area retailers. The trees must have all decorations, ornaments, tinsel, lights and stands removed. Flocked trees cannot be recycled. Trees may be dropped off at the following eighteen (18) locations city-wide.
OPEN Wed. – Sun., 9:00am to 6:00pm
- Central Neighborhood Depository – 2240 Central St.
- Kirkpatrick Neighborhood Depository – 5565 Kirkpatrick
- Sommermeyer Neighborhood Depository – 14400 Sommermeyer
- N. Main Neighborhood Depository – 9003 N. Main
- Southwest Neighborhood Depository – 10785 SW Freeway
- Sunbeam Neighborhood Depository – 5100 Sunbeam
Mon. – Sat. 8:00am to 5:00pm, CLOSED SUNDAY
- Westpark Consumer Recycling Center – 5900 Westpark
OPEN DAILY, 9:00am to 6:00pm
- Doss Park (gates close at 5) – 2500 Frick Road
- Memorial Park (Ball Fields 4 and 5) – 7300 Memorial Drive
- T.C. Jester Park – 4200 T.C. Jester West
- Kingwood – Bens View Lane @ Bens Branch Drive
- Elington Airport Recycling Drop-off –HWY 3@ Brantley Road
MON-FRI 7:00am to 5:30pm and Saturday 7:00am – 12pm
- Living Earth – 5625 Crawford Road
- Living Earth – 1503 Industrial Drive (Gessner @ Hwy 90)
- Living Earth – 1700 Highway 90A East
- Living Earth – 12202 Cutten Road
- Living Earth – 16138 Highway 6
- Living Earth – 5210 S. Sam Houston Pkwy.
More info: http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/christmas_tree_recycling.html
Sandra Fernandez is a professional communicator, tech enthusiast, book lover, and blogger. You can find her main blog at SandraSays.com and more of her writing at HispanicHouston.com.