Watch Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” Season 3 beginning Friday, June 12, 2015
Netflix original “Orange is the New Black” returns with Season 3 on Friday, June 12, 2015 (today! today! today!). This means that, if you’re anything like me, you’re going to spend the weekend binge watching the show to complete it by late Sunday night (if that). After all, 32% of people in my age group prefer to binge watch our shows. So, don’t expect a speedy response to emails or messages this weekend. Because while, other than heading out for the Latin Twist book party, I’m going to be glued to a small screen for quite a few hours, I’m not going to be watching for email.
What is “Orange is the New Black?” It’s a made-for-Netflix show that follows Piper Chapman, a college-educated middle class woman, as she gets sent to a women’s prison for the bad judgment of (once upon a time) loving someone who was engaging in illegal activities. The show tells the stories of the different (flawed) women who are in the prison.
One of the things that sets the show apart is that the cast is very multicultural. The show features quite a few Latina actresses in (yes, clichéd) prominent roles:
- relative newcomer Dascha Polanco plays Dayanara Diaz (37 episodes, 2013-2015) and she is a strong storyline in the series;
- Selenis Leyva plays Gloria Mendoza (36 episodes, 2013-2015);
- Jessica Pimentel plays Maria Ruiz (26 episodes, 2013-2015);
- Elizabeth Rodriguez played Aleida Diaz in the first two seasons (19 episodes, 2013-2014) and can be seen in the new AMC show “Fear the Walking Dead” this summer;
- Alysia Reiner plays Natalie Figueroa (18 episodes, 2013-2015);
- actress/singer Jackie Cruz played Flaca Gonzales in the first two seasons (18 episodes, 2013-2014); and
- Diane Guerrero played Maritza Ramos during the first two seasons (17 episodes, 2013-2014) and can be seen in “Jane the Virgin” as a recurring guest.
The characters are quirky and multi-dimensional. And the show is awesome. However, be aware, this is an adult-content show. Think HBO-style, with the sex scenes and adult situations included.
* * *
- “Orange is the New Black” | Netflix
- Related post: Hispanic Millennials prefer binge viewing their favorite shows, says research | Hispanic Houston
- Image via.
Sandra Fernandez is a professional communicator, tech enthusiast, book lover, and blogger. You can find her main blog at SandraSays.com and more of her writing at HispanicHouston.com.
One thought on “Watch Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” Season 3 beginning Friday, June 12, 2015”