Only 30 jobs out of every 1,000 in Houston are tech jobs, according to a Nerd Wallet listing, leaving the city ranked at #36 nationwide in the “100 Best Places for Tech Jobs.” The top spot went to the San Jose metro area, with 126.27 jobs out of every 1,000 being tech jobs. San Jose did well in the salary column too, with average tech salaries coming in at $130K a year, compared to the $92K in Houston.
The fact that Houston ranked low on this list only means that we have more jobs in other industries and specialties than in tech. That may mean that there’s room for growth. However, it’s important to note that the national average salary for those in computer and math job is $84K (per 2014 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and reported by Houston Culturemap). That means that in Houston salaries are 10% higher than the national average.
The other Texas cities that made the list are:
- Austin area, at #9 with 58.82 jobs per 1,000 and an average salary of $84K;
- Dallas area, at #11 with 50.26 jobs per 1,000 and an average salary of $87K;
- Forth Worth, at #75 with 26.85 jobs per 1,000 and and average salary of $87K; and,
- San Antonio, at #88 with 27.64 jobs per 1,000 and $78K in average salary.
Houston came in with a higher average pay than any other Texas city on the list. And, ultimately, isn’t pay grade a more interesting conversation?
* * *
- Source: Best Places for Tech Jobs – NerdWallet
- Source: Salaries are impressive here, yet Houston doesn’t score high on list of Best Places for Tech Jobs | Culturemap
- Image source: JeongGuHyeok / Pixabay