6th Annual Children’s Book Celebration on Saturday, May 16, 2015
WHAT: Books Alive! 6th Annual Children’s Book Celebration
WHEN: Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 12:15 pm to 3:30 pm
- Event Kickoff, 12:15 PM at Program Place (4th Floor)
- Main Street Theater young ambassadors present selections from The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor.
- Author Jon Scieszka, 12:45 PM at Program Place (4th Floor)
- Author talk, book sale and signing!
- Musical guest and interactive activities, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM at Central Library Plaza
- Music and entertainment by AndyRoo and the AndyRooniverse! Arts & Crafts, Mad Science of Houston, PhotoMoto photo booth, Houston Museum of Natural Science, and the Children’s Museum of Houston.
WHERE: Central Library, 500 McKinney St., Houston TX 77002
MORE INFO: http://houstonlibrary.org/learn-explore/library-events/books-alive
About the Author
Jon Scieszka has sold more than 11 million books, including The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, which won a Caldecott Honor medal; The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs; the Time Warp Trio; and his latest series, Frank Einstein, illustrated by Brian Biggs. Scieszka is the founder of Guys Read, a nonprofit literacy organization. He was appointed the first National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature, a position created by the Library of Congress to raise national awareness of the importance of young people’s literature as it relates to lifelong literacy, education, and the development and betterment of the lives of young people.
Go Back to Invent the Future at HPL! Sign up for the 2015 Summer Reading Time Machine!
Sign up for a revolutionary summer of reading, making, and participating. Use your MY Link card now to re-live history and dream of the future.
Get transported through time and space with books and other multimedia available at your library. Meet the makers—scientists, artists, writers, explorers, and many more!—who shaped the past. And discover how YOU can create an exciting future.
Register! Read! Reap the Rewards!
Early registration begins May 1, 2015 and continues through August 1, 2015. Please visit the Summer Reading Program page or any HPL location to sign up. You can also register from home. Receive your first prize upon registration! Read or listen to books, keep track, and then visit any HPL location to claim your prizes. Attend hands-on workshops, enjoy performances and take part in activities to collect “STEAM machine” badges.
* * *
- We do our best to ensure all event information is accurate and up-to-date. However, it’s a good idea to visit the website listed or contact the organization or venue to verify event details.
Sandra Fernandez is a professional communicator, tech enthusiast, book lover, and blogger. You can find her main blog at SandraSays.com and more of her writing at HispanicHouston.com.