The 87th Academy Awards ceremony, also know as the Oscars, is scheduled to take place on February 22, 2015. The show is going to be hosted by actor Neil Patrick Harris for the first time.
The movie “Birdman” has garnered quite a few nominations for Latinos this year in several categories. I haven’t watched the movie, but have read the good reviews.
The movie is about the main character, Riggan Thomson as played by Michael Keaton, as a washed-up Hollywood actor famous for playing the superhero Birdman in blockbuster movies decades earlier. The audience is treated to Riggan’s hallucinations and his hopes to reinvent his failing career by writing, directing, and starring in a Broadway play.
Among the nominations for the movie are:
- Best Director nomination for Alejandro González Iñárritu, a Mexican film director. González Iñárritu is the first Mexican director to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director and by the Directors Guild of America for Best Director.
- Best Original Screenplay nomination for Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, and Armando Bo.
- Best Cinematography nominations for Emmanuel Lubezki, a Mexican cinematographer. Luzbecki won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography for his work on “Gravity.”
- Best Sound Editing nominations for Martin Hernández.
- Best Sound Mixing nominations for Frank A. Montaño, who has been nominated for seven Academy Awards in the category Best Sound.
Also nominated were:
- Michael Keaton nominated for Best Actor
- Edward Norton nominated for Best Supporting Actor
- Emma Stone nominated for Best Supporting Actress
Now I have to go out and watch the movie to see how good it is.
* * *
- Latino Filmmakers Get Nominations In Almost Every Major Oscar Category || Remezcla
- 87th Academy Awards || Wikipedia
- Image source: geralt / Pixabay